A Public Consultation for the Career Guidance Review
The Department of Education and Skills has committed in the National Skills Strategy 2025 and the Action Plan for Education 2016-2019, to commence an independent review of existing career guidance tools and career information for students and adults and recommend changes to improve the existing tools and information currently in place across the education and training system in Ireland.
The purpose of the review is to ensure that we are providing high quality, relevant career guidance information to students from post–primary level up to further and higher education. The review will look at the quality of information available to students and adults in relation to career guidance, the sources of this information and how the system is organised to support students and adults in this area.
The Career Guidance Review is being carried out by Indecon International Consultants. Deirdre Hughes is the International guidance expert working with Indecon as part of the review.
Indecon are now inviting all interested stakeholders to contribute to a consultation process by submitting their views in writing on the Career Guidance Review.
Your views should address the following:
- From your experience, how could existing career guidance tools and career information for students and adults be improved, so that they have a greater impact on students making course and career choices?
- In your opinion, how do learners form their opinions around career choice including when, who and what influences these choices and which mechanisms and formats have the greatest impact on students and adults career choices?
- Outline what measures could be designed and what framework created to enhance enterprise engagement with the education and training system in relation to providing information on career pathways for students and adults.
- Any other issues of relevance to the terms of reference.
Please send your submission by Friday 25th May 2018. This deadline is now extended to 1st June 2018.
- By e-mail to Guidance_Rev@education.gov.ie, or by email to Dr Greg Swinand at Indecon International Consultants, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- by post to Skills Planning and Enterprise Engagement Unit, Department of Education and Skills, Marlborough St. Dublin 1 or to Dr Greg Swinand, Indecon, Indecon House, 4 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin 2.
Career Guidance Review – Survey links
It is critical that the review reflects the inputs/views of the guidance community, as well as of the population of students/learners. With this objective in mind, Indecon have developed an approach to provide each group with the opportunity to input into the review via a structured questionnaire format.
Indecon would be very appreciative if you could take a small amount of your time to provide your views as a guidance practitioner or a student/learner – in confidence – via the Indecon survey, by Friday 8th June. This will provide you with a direct input to National policy in this area.
The surveys can be accessed in secure form via the following links:
- Survey of Guidance Counsellors/Practitioners: https://www.research.net/r/MTHC96Q
- Survey Secondary Level Students/Learners: https://www.research.net/r/MTVHM8S
- Survey of Higher Level Students/Learners: https://www.research.net/r/MRFJ3DH
- Survey of Further Education and Training Students/Learners: https://www.research.net/r/MWXTFMX